Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Baby is not a heart donor anymore

It's sad. I have been following up on Kaylee Wallace's case...I admire her parents a lot. I wonder if I'll ever be able to make such decision in the future. It certainly takes a lot of courage. But the whole thing got me thinking about a recent decision I made. I signed a consent form to donate my heart, kidneys, liver, lungs and bones when I die. People scared me a lot...ethical issues, religious issues etc...Perhaps one of the most common myths about organ donation is the whole thing about doctors rushing you into surgery as soon as they see that donor sticker on your health card or drivers license...Which to be honest, kind of scared me at the beginning. But what happened with Kaylee, 2 months old, proves that doctors will NOT declare you dead until your heart stops beating for 10 minutes. This is why Kaylee was put back on the life support machine when her heart did not stop beating. It makes me feel good about organ donation. I wonder if they will ever be able to transplant the heart. I hope so. Her father, Jason Wallace, is certainly a brave man and a man of values or morals. I wish I could help save a life with my organs when I die.

I have to hit the library now. I have a lot of things to catch up on!

Till next time

0 comments: