Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"So why do you want to be a doctor?"

I can't believe what happened a few minutes ago. Unbelievable. I was hungry so I went to Subway to grab something to eat, got the sandwich, paid, and left then I went to the campus express to get a drink, then went to the library to return a couple of books I borrowed for a paper, then to my locker and then I finally went to the S-Wing to find a spot that has a plug near by. Boring huh? Yeah, gets more interesting. So I sit down, take off my coat etc...look for my phone (SJSM is supposed to call me in 2 hours so I thought I would put it in front of me where I can easily reach and answer it). I look and look and look and the phone is nowhere to be found. I looked inside my pockets, inside my purse, my pencil case, everywhere!

I lost my cellphone. I mean, can I get luckier?? Somebody? please? and yet people tell me that I need to be "a bit more optimistic" I mean really? Do you see what I have to go through? Ugh!

Anyway, I eventually found it after an hour of breathless searching, crying and asking everyone around if they had seen a white Samsung Link phone. It was just ridiculous. Turned out that I left it at Subway! Man was I thankful! I mean this stuff only happens in movies....you know the cursed people...yeah that's me--in real life.

So back to the question: Why Do you Want to Be a Doctor?

I was thinking of just saying well "I like to help others" but that sounds pretty cheesy. I want to make my answer very personal/unique. I want to talk about my father's asthma and his health etc. but I'm not sure I want to make this phone interview that dramatic. I just want to be light and genuine. So here's what I've come up with:

I used to think that my desire to become a doctor was solely because I liked to help others, to stop pain and to make a difference in other people's lives. But after my extensive volunteer experience in the health field, I realize that there's more to it. Yes I do want to help others, because I can accomplish that just by being a nurse or paramedic. From my own personal experience of being around nurses, from my own personal experience of observing what goes into the job of being a nurse, I feel like I'm capable of doing more. I'm an intelligent person and I am capable of working in stressful environmental.

I'm gonna mention something about my father etc... Also a sit
OK i'm not even gonna attempt finishing this sentence. I'm scared. I have to go practice somewhere where I can talk--to myself.

0 comments: